MYAA’s Youth Ambassadors are the main catalyst’s for the prevention in underage drinking MYAA continually strives to achieve. MYAA Ambassadors are hardworking, motivated students, who dedicate their time and their commitment to reaching out to their peers, their friends and others about the dangers of underage drinking and the benefits of abstaining. Youth Ambassadors are role models to younger students and enjoy the confidence of believing in the fun and the empowerment of healthy choices and how important it is to support yourself.
If you know of a young person who would be great for the Youth Ambassador Program, or you are a young person who wants to get involved, the applications are open now, and close on May 4, 2015. Check out the Youth Ambassador website (http://www.actmissouri.org/youth-ambassadors/) for more information and to access the application when it becomes available.
Here are three of MYAA’s Youth Ambassadors and a little information about them.
Krista S., Kara, Raine, Krista O., and Tali
Parkway Central High School, Chesterfield
- Reason why I am a youth ambassador: To be able to make a difference and better my community.
- Favorite subject in school: Ceramics because it relaxes me and allows me to be creative
- Favorite thing to do outside of school: I like to hang out with friends and family and get involved with my community.
- What we hope to do after high school: Go to college after high school and major in a career that involves helping others.
Morgan County R-II High School, Versailles
- Reason why I am a youth ambassador: I love to serve others and being an ambassador helps me to give back to my community while also allowing me to be a positive role model for young adults.
- Favorite subject in school: Psychology. I love learning about how people’s minds function and how their thoughts can predict their actions.
- Favorite thing to do outside of school: I love to run long distance. I train all Winter for track season in the Spring and I also run 5k races competitively.
- What we hope to do after high school: I hope to either attend the United States Military Academy at West Point and major in Psychology, or attend the University of Missouri-St. Louis through an Army ROTC scholarship and major in Criminology.
Eldon High School, Eldon
- Reason why I am a youth ambassador: To get the word out to my community that underage drinking and drug use needs to stop. I believe that the best way to stop underage drinking and underage drug use is if the information comes from the peers of the teenagers who are making these choices.
- Favorite subject in school: Any and all kinds of science. I find science so intriguing because every day we are finding new ways to save lives or a new species that we have never known before. Science is a way to figure out the ever-changing world around us and to better understand what we already know.
- Favorite thing to do outside of school: I love to play basketball! I spend most of my weekends and every day after school practicing with my team to get better.
- What we hope to do after high school: I am planning to go to college. Right now I am looking to get a degree in health sciences, but not 100% sure what I want to do yet.
MYAA Project Director Chelsea, Kara, Madeline, Raine, and Krista S.