Find your Legislators – the people who are working for you!
After locating them, give them a call or contact them via their website. Remember that telephone calls and emails are usually taken by a staff member, not the member of Congress. So, ask to speak with the aide who handles the issue about which you wish to comment.
Visit our advocacy section in our Training and Resource section of this website to get tips on how to prepare, conduct, and schedule a meeting with your legislator.
Some key, basic points are:
- Thank your legislator for their time.
- Introduce yourself, tell what school you’re from or what town you live in.
- Talk about your programs and events going on in your school or community.
- Be positive, friendly, and relaxed.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Be brief. Legislators are very busy.
- Bring a digital camera so that you can take a picture with your legislator and send it to your local paper!