NSDUH is a comprehensive household interview survey of substance use, substance use disorders, mental health, and the receipt of treatment services for these disorders in the United States.
• NSDUH is collected face-to-face by field interviewers who read less sensitive
questions to respondents and transition respondents to audio computer assisted
self-interviewing for sensitive items.
• NSDUH covers the civilian, noninstitutionalized population, aged 12 or older:
• Includes: Households, college dorms, homeless in shelters, civilians on
• Excludes: Active military, long-term hospital residents, prison populations,
homeless not in shelters
• Sample includes all 50 states and DC
• Approximately 67,500 persons are interviewed annually
• Data collected from January to December